[XeTeX] opentype arabic font rendering in mac osx (snow leopard and lion)

Youssef Cherem ycherem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:20:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've tried for weeks now to open pdfs created with xelatex with opentype arabic fonts, but they don't render well (letters appear jumbled) with preview or other pdf viewers -- except, strangely enough, with Texwork's pdf viewer.

In Pages or Word, opentype arabic doesn't make ligatures, which makes them useless for writing Arabic. With TextEditor, I can get ligatures without any problem.

AAT fonts, on the contrary, are ok.

Is there any way of correcting (or at least circumventing) this problem?

Below are two examples of how things look in Texworks:

And the same pdf in Viewer: