[XeTeX] when one needs more than XeTeX+OT fonts?

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Apr 15 12:27:29 CEST 2011

Kārlis Repsons wrote:

> This far I used only xelatex and was quite happy with what it can produce, so
> I got curious: what is that pdftex, dvi, ps stuff all for, when there is
> xelatex, and pdf viewers are the most common choice?
> I realize there ought to be a lot of reason for why they exist, but in simple
> words -- for what use cases would anything more be needed from that company
> where xelatex is?

If you drive, understand, maintain and love a Volkswagen Beetle,
what reason have you for replacing it with a Daimler Chrysler
Maybach ?
--
Not sent from my i-Pad, i-Phone, Blackberry, Blueberry, or any
such similar poseurs' toy, none of which would I be seen dead