[XeTeX] Text output garbled after system update -- your ideas?

Joke de Buhr joke at seiken.de
Thu Apr 14 16:31:00 CEST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 14. April 2011, 12:07:31 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
> Am Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:47:32 +0000 schrieb Kārlis Repsons:
> >> Add \XeTeXtracingfonts= 1 to your document (I don't know if your
> >> xetex version already knows this command)
> >>
> >> and compile on the command line with
> >> xelatex --output-driver="xdvipdfmx -vv" file
> >>
> >> Then compare the pathes of the fonts used by xetex and xdvipdfmx in
> >> the log and on the screen.
> >
> > OK:
> > xelatex prints many lines of using "TeXLive/2009bin/texmf-
> > dist/fonts/type1/public/libertine", but in log I find:
> >
> > Requested font "Linux Libertine" at 10.0pt
> >
> >  -> /opt/custom-builds/TeXLive/2009bin/texmf-
> >
> > dist/fonts/truetype/public/liberti
> > ne/fxlr.ttf
> >
> > So a whole mix! Type1 mixed with TT/OT, which gets taken from two
> > locations... Will have to delete the TT version of Libertine then...
> > Type1 too?
>
> It is already bad enough that e.g. two ttf-version of a font can
> give trouble but it is really a nuisance that you can't tell xetex
> which type of fonts it should use and that it mix type1 with
> ttf/otf.
>
> If you want to keep the ttf-font I fear you will have to deinstall
> the type1 or you must always use the exact file name in the
> \setmainfont command.
>
> But you can also try to remove the ttf's and install the otf-version
> instead. It must be called with \setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
> (remark the O at the end for otf) and this seems not to interfer
> with the type1 version (which you perhaps need for pdflatex)

I've got the exact same problem but it's a bit worse here:

 - I've got a system wide installed libertine font installed via apt
 - A system wide libertine font within texlive 2009 installed via apt
 - A texmf wide libertine font within a locally installed texlive 2010
 - And a locally installed libertine font within ~/.fonts taken from their svn

XeTeX get's completely confused and takes different fonts from various
locations for each fontstyle (bold, italic).

Unfortunately it's not possible to delete the system wide installed fonts and
I don't want to mess with the locally installed texlive 2010 tree either
because it might interfere with tlmgr.

I want XeTeX to choose the last one because it's the libertine font with
highest "fontversion" tag available.

Is there a way to solve this probleme? Like setting an environmental variable
during XeTeX invocation? Something like specifying OPENTYPEFONTS with
LuaLaTex?

Greetings
Joke de Buhr