[XeTeX] xetex

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sun Apr 10 00:50:02 CEST 2011

On Apr 9, 2011, at 6:46 PM, Paul Isambert wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, XeTeX = X + eTeX, with X for Mac OS X (XeTeX's original intended platform), and eTeX being the well-known Extended TeX (since XeTeX takes over eTeX). As for TeX...

Yes.

>From the TUG interview of Jonathan Kew <http://tug.org/interviews/kew.html>

"The name was chosen to imply an eXtended version of eTeX, along with an association with MacOSX (which was initially the only target platform). As one of the intended uses was for typesetting right-to-left scripts, a palindromic name seemed like fun; and the properly-typeset version is supposed to use the Unicode character U+018A LATIN CAPITAL LETTER REVERSED E for the first lowered “E”, hinting at support of much more than the basic Western character set."

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com