[XeTeX] Don't update to Mac OS X 10.6.7

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 22:29:02 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 22:07, Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 4/1/11 at 9:33 PM, keithjschultz at web.de (Keith J. Schultz) wrote:
>
>> I am on 10.6.7 and do not have any problems with fonts and printing!
>> I believe their is a simple fix. Delete the font caches.
>
> No, deleting the font cache will not correct the font issue on 10.6.7. But
> it is also true this problem will not impact all users of 10.6.7. For the
> problem to be apparent you must be using an Opentype PostScript font

... which is almost every single font shipped with TeX distribution
that is suitable for XeTeX/LuaTeX (LM, TeX Gyre, ...)

> and you
> must be using an application such as Adobe Reader that relies on Mac OS X to
> render the font.

To the contrary ... Adobe Acrobat is the only application that is to
some extent capable of printing my documents while Skim & others go
wild.

> The work arounds are, don't upgrade to 10.6.7, don't use
> Opentype PostScript fonts or use another app to view the PDF file that
> either has a built-in rendering engine or Preview which ignores the problem.

It helps when viewing, but not when printing.

About Preview: am I the only one who also experiences problems with
PDFs generated with MS Word on Windows (for more than a year, not a
new problem) when somebody uses multiple fonts other than Times N.R.?
Adobe Acrobat displays the fonts fine, but Preview shows a pure mess
(badly kerned wrong font). On top of that Preview keep crashing when I
use smooth shading patterns or even when I just want to upload PDF
file in browser.

It's a bit unfortunate that I didn't try to use XeTeX earlier. I
wasn't sure whether it was a ConTeXt/LuaTeX or OS issue and if I would
try XeTeX, I could at least figure it out one week earlier ... (Well,
I knew it was an OS issue, but I thought that LuaTeX was creating at
least a bit unusual documents since pdfTeX documents work just fine.)

Mojca