[XeTeX] Don't update to Mac OS X 10.6.7

Rembrandt Wolpert wolpert at uark.edu
Fri Apr 1 21:59:53 CEST 2011

well, no, not quite such a simple fix... since the printing issue affects
not only open type fonts, but also embedded pdf-graphics ((Xe)LaTeX produced
files with (embedded) musical notation (pdf) done with lilypond-book print
all sorts of weird things, just not the musical notation). The music-pdf
file prints fine as a stand-alone, the text prints fine as stand-alone, no
pdf-graphics for me. So, warning still stands, and it may be worth waiting
until Apple has fixed this (my students are running my door down! It's
dissertation-submitting-time here.)

A not-so pleasant workaround is to use Acrobat for printing, and choose from
the Printer dialogue ->Advanced->Print as Image. However, that is also not
perfect... (Chinese mixed with a Western OTF font can give nasty surprises.)

I'm downgrading to 10.6.6 at the weekend...

Rembrandt Wolpert

(BTW. The files show perfectly in Preview, Skim, Google, and print perfectly
on a (fortunately) not-yet-upgraded 10.6.6 machine in the next room.)

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 14:33, Keith J. Schultz <keithjschultz at web.de> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am on 10.6.7 and do not have any problems with fonts and printing!
> I believe their is a simple fix. Delete the font caches.
>
> I can not remeber the the source, but deleting the font cache seems to
> fix the problem!
>
> regards
>        Keith.
>
> Am 01.04.2011 um 21:00 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm sorry for cross-posting, but this issue is a really nasty one (and
> > might come too late for some). If you use OpenType fonts in your TeX
> > documents, don't update your Mac OS X unless you want to have some
> > serious fun with printing ...
> >
> > http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20048314-263.html
> > http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2792142
> > http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2791830
> >
> > ... a workaround that worked for me (for PostScript printers only) was
> > the following: I used
> >      http://localhost:631/help
> > for help and ended up doing
> >   lpstat -p
> > to get printer name and then
> >   lp -d some_very_weird_printer_name_ myfile.pdf
> > to send the file to a PostScript printer.
> >
> > I wasn't sure whether it was an OS issue or LuaTeX issue (I updated
> > both), but Florian on ntg-context mailing list posted the above links
> > which most probably makes XeTeX users vulnerable as well.
> >
> > Mojca

人有不為也而後可以有為