[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 30 09:36:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

there are three kinds of people who should learn TeX&Co:
  - those who absolutely need TeX, because no other system let's them
produce the documents they have to (all this linguistis and co. [don't
take offense, I have no idea of the professions around this topic])
- those who can use other systems but who would have an enourmous
advantage in time and effort using TeX (mathematicians, other scientist,
typographers of some kind [see above], ...)

and now the important part

- those who should think structurally (does this word exist?), when
creating a text document. and that's nearly everybody who creates a text
document other than a greeting or similar.

To state it clearly:

Every high school student, who wants to continue to university (in
Germany: jeder Gymnasialschüler) should learn TeX&Co. in order to
_think_ _structurally_.

It's not about programming vs. using. (I myself don't do anything plain
TeX. I use packages and create new commands only as placeholders.) It's
about the order in which to create a document:
1. content
2. structure
3. revise 1&2
4. layout

MS Word&Co. proposes another order:
1. content and layout mixed.
2. structure
3. revision (nearly impossible for large documents if its harder than
using replace)
Btw: Is the table of contents in word still created from layout forms?

bye Toscho

PS: The high school, where I teach (better: learn teaching) will begin
to teach LaTeX to the grade-10-students of its STEM-branch.