[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 03:17:46 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-30 07:10:07 +0930, Philipp Stephani
<st_philipp at yahoo.de> said:

> [Beginners] don't know what a text file or a text editor is, they have
> never heard the word "Unicode", and they have never used a programming
> language before. What they need are step-
>  by-step instructions that tell them, in simple words, how to create
> TeX documents. If TeXworks/TeXshop is included in TeX Live and is good
> enough, then there is no reason to mention other e!

This is the important point, I think. TeXworks is *included* in MiKTeX
and TeX Live for all platforms. IMHO, I think any comments that you're
going to make along these lines should be

"MiKTeX and TeX Live both include the TeXworks program for writing your
XeTeX and LaTeX documents and viewing their typeset output. You are not
restricted to using TeXworks, however; a list of known editors that
supports XeTeX are ..."

I agree with others who said this isn't the place to go into much
detail about which editor they're using. Just point them in the right
direction, and TeXworks is the easiest to get started with *because
they don't have to install anything else*.