[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Tue Sep 28 02:43:31 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michiel Kamermans" <pomax at nihongoresources.com>

> TeXWork should be recommended. But I wouldn't recommend it as main TeX
> editor on windows just yet, because it refuses to behave like every other
> application I use on it. That makes it a "good alternative if the
> following editors aren't good enough for you :...." and then a list of
> real "for windows" programs. I'll happily endorse it as primary editor on
> MacOS, though, because there the styling matches the standard application
> experience.
There's no alternative at the present time, AFAIK, for Unicode-based,
XeTeX-aware editor designed for TeX.  Yes, there are plain text editors, but
see my previous email for why I don't suggest them for newcomers to TeX (at
least those without programming experience).

I use TeXworks all the time on Windows, and I think the window issue is not
significant.  By default, the editor takes up the left half of the screen
and the PDF preview the right half.  Unless the user manually resizes the
windows, it looks like one application.  I will grant that it's a bit
strange for Windows users to work with Gimp (which I use), where you have
two totally separate, differently sized windows that are part of the same
program but float separately on the desktop.  I still feel that way even
after a certain amount of experience with Gimp, but TeXworks has never
bothered me.

Also, TeXworks was deliberately designed to work the same way on all three
OSs.  That may not matter to some, but I think it's one the strengths of the
program (I use it on Mac and Windows).  That does of course set up some
conflicts such as you describe.  But, again, there are no alternatives at
the moment.

David