[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Mon Sep 27 17:26:15 CEST 2010

On 9/27/2010 7:45 AM, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
> Is there any editor with LaTeX support? How about TeXworks? I know
> that TeXniccenter does not support Unicode. (This is what lshort
> recommends) Another suggestion is LEd but it seems to be pre-Unicode
> as well.

I install notepad2 on every windows machine I use. In part because it
doesn't require installing (download, run. no questions asked) and in
part because it does everything a tex editor needs to do for me. That
said: yes. TeXworks is decent, but violates the windows user experience
of one window per application. It spawns two separate windows and that
breaks the magic right there. On MacOS and *nix that's actually fine,
but on windows if it's not all contained, it's a bad program.

However, there is Texmaker (http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/), which I
used for quite a while. It understands unicode, and is set up to be
UTF-8 by default for a few version numbers now. It also has a bucketload
of separate build commands for doing different chains like latex + bable
-> ps,  or xelatex+makeindex -> pdf, etc. It also has a quickbuild
function where you can input your own command sequence for customised
builds. It was rather useful until I discovered that I was way too busy
looking at "what things would look like" instead of first just writing
the entire document and then just tweaking minor things.

(Unless I need to typeset extensive math, for which I will still fire up
Texmaker, I just use a plain text editor these days)

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com