[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Sep 26 01:17:59 CEST 2010

Am 25.09.2010 um 18:44 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:

> Some weeks ago I suggested getting information about XeTeX into
> lshort.
>
> Well, here is the first draft.

The correct Xe(La)TeX logos can be produced with metalogo or hologo
(HO = Heiko Oberdiek) packages. The logos in xltxtra, in fontspec v. 2
now included, can be "ported" to (La)TeX.

The font types XeTeX can so well work with are spelled "OpenType" and
"TrueType".

Instead of the not included DejaVu font family you might like to
mention GNU Free fonts or Linux Libertine/Biolinum O, which are
included in TeX Live.

Some operating systems or application offer "input systems" or "input
methods" which allow to enter non-standard characters.

XeTeX also supports UTF-16 encodings.
\XeTeXdefaultencoding{CharsetName} and
\XeTeXinputencoding{CharsetName} can set many others.

Me, I don't know of any font that switches typographic conventions
based on the script and language selected, what usually happens is
that a different set features is activated for the selected
combination. GNU Emacs offers input methods. One of them, always
available, is C-q <some number>, and the number can be octal, decimal,
or hexadecimal.

Don't forget to mention that XeTeX does not load any font files but
relies on a (modern) system's "font service" to deliver them upon
request!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Alles Vernünftige ist einfach; alles Komplizierte ist überflüssig.
				(M. Kalaschnikow)