[XeTeX] font licenses and embedding

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sat Sep 25 18:15:00 CEST 2010

> Guys! I have access to that font(DV-TTSurekh-Normal).

  It's not the one Mike used, he mentioned SD-TTSurekh.  In fact, a
Google search for DV-TTSurekh gives as first hit a link to download it,
without any indication as to the legality of this.

  But what you say probably applies to SD-TTSurekh as well:

>                                                       As far as I know it is
> said that font is made in 1996-97. And it in no way a Unicode OpenType Font.
> It is an ASCII hack font for Devanagari. The Devanagari glyph are draw in
> latin names. So, for example when you type a you will get क as glyph of a.

  According to http://fr.fontstock.net/11471/sd-ttsurekh-normal.html
where you can see samples, the glyph for क is encoded at E, not a.  But
it's not at all Unicode-compliant anyway.

> So just telling fontspec the font name will not work of that font as I know.

  Indeed no.

	Arthur