[XeTeX] Redefining \em and \emph

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 19:48:12 CEST 2010

Vafa Khalighi wrote:
> I have not been following this so far but this should not be included in
> either polyglossia or fontspec at least for Persian because we use slanted,
> italic or what we call Khabideh in Persian.

Don't panic! I'm simply planning to provide a package option for a
Syriac package I'm writing to allow users to turn \emph into an alias
for \aemph within RTL environments. Slanted text is not traditional in
Syriac, but has been used more recently. It looks quite ugly. I imagine
that proper khabideh in fonts involves special shapes that are more than
the addition of slant.

Gareth.