[XeTeX] Extra trailing space in IPA font with xltxtra

Paolo Matteucci p.n.matteucci at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 13:08:14 CEST 2010

2010/9/22 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>

> P.S. This may be a more elegant solution :
>
> [...]
>
> \def\implementTIPAtextx#1{\scantokens{#1\endinput}\egroup}

Thank you, Phil: that certainly is.

2010/9/22 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>

> Ross Moore wrote:
>
>  However, I'm not convinced that this is the most robust way
>> of tackling this issue.
>> Should it be localised to just when  linguex  is used?
>>
>> [...]
>

> Not convinced this is optimal.

> [...]
>

> might it not be better to simply use \scantokens
> regardless ?

Also, I'd like to stress one thing I mentioned earlier on in this thread
(and had completely forgotten about!), *just in case* it might be
important:-

Although admittedly it doesn't make much sense to load tipa without loading
xltxtra or xunicode as well, if you just load fontspec [v2.1] (*and* tipa,
of course), you still get the extra trailing space with the \textipa
command, and this because —I believe— fontspec invokes \scantokens, too. So
xunicode's behaviour is "consistent" in that it preserves fontspec's
behaviour. :-)

Therefore *maybe", whatever approach is used to address this bug, the same
"fix" should be applied to fontspec, too...?

Paolo