[XeTeX] Extra trailing space in IPA font with xltxtra

Paolo Matteucci p.n.matteucci at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 00:26:37 CEST 2010

2010/9/21 Paolo Matteucci <p.n.matteucci at gmail.com>

>  2010/9/20 Alan Munn <amunn at gmx.com>
>

>>  Putting \relax after the last character in the TIPA string will solve
>> the problem.
>>
>> \textipa{a\relax}
>>

> Thank you, Alan, for the quick fix, although this doesn’t explain why this
> is happening in the first place, and where the "bug" is…

By the way, if anyone is interested, I found out that the only way to fix
this without having to explicitly change all the occurrences of \textipa in
my document(s) was to add something like this *in the preamble*:

\let\oldImplementTIPAtext\implementTIPAtext
\def\implementTIPAtext#1{\oldImplementTIPAtext{#1\relax}}    % renewcommand
doesn't work here

2010/9/21 Heiko Oberdiek <heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com>

> A bug, probably the use of \scantokens without \endlinechar=-1,
> thus the space is the consequence of the uncommented endline character.

…At least something "in the neighbourhood of" \scantokens, as some tracing
reveals:

[without xltxtra:]

{changing \cf at encoding=macro:->OT1}
{into \cf at encoding=macro:->T3}
{the letter a}
{end-group character }}

[with xltxtra:]

\implementTIPAtextx #1->\scantokens {#1}\egroup
#1<-a
{\scantokens}
{the letter a}
{blank space  }
{end-group character }}

…but my TeXnical knowledge stops here. :-(

Paolo