[XeTeX] Multiple citation styles in a single document

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sun Sep 19 20:42:23 CEST 2010

On Sep 19, 2010, at 12:54 PM, Pierre Morel wrote:

> Since the "biblio" mailing list seems to be rather inactive, I'm
> posting on this list to which I'm subscribed, sorry for my question
> being not directly xetex related (even if I'm using xetex!).
>
> I'm writing my thesis in French, but it includes my published or to-
> be published articles in English. All is in a single document in
> order to have correct figure and page numberings (but with
> multiple .tex files of course). I use natbib for the bilbiography.
>
> After my problems with hyperref, which were quite minor and are
> solved, I'm stumbling on something much more serious:
> Depeding on the bibliography style I choose (plainnat or plainnat-
> fr), the language in the citation changes, the most obvious one
> being the switch from (Author1 and Author2, year) to (Author1 et
> Author2). The first being quite unsettling in the middle of the
> french parts (because of the "and") while the second looks weird in
> the english parts. For more than two authors, the typography changes
> on the "et al" (normal text for English, italic for French).
> So my question is the following : how to choose two different
> citation styles for different sections of the same document ?
> (only the first \bibliographystyle{} command seems to be taken in
> account).

I don't think this is possible to do using natbib.  But it's easy to
do using biblatex.  Biblatex is babel-aware, so if if you switch
languages it will switch citation styles automatically.

It's usually not to difficult to convert a document from using natbib
to biblatex either, since  your citation commands can stay the same.

(Note also, that using biblatex doesn't *require* using biber
(although the two are designed to work together.)  So you can still
use your existing bib file along with bibtex to do the sorting etc. I
mention this, because especially when using XeLaTeX, there's lots of
interest in using biber and biblatex since biber is Unicode-aware.)

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com