[XeTeX] virtual keyboard question

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Sep 19 17:25:56 CEST 2010

On 9/19/2010 7:39 AM, Manfred Lotz wrote:

> I tried it in TeXworks under Linux. For instance uktvaa in Devanagari
> which has a ligature in it connecting k, t and v shows up correctly in
> (out of the box) TeXworks. Both in gvim and emacs Devanagari will be
> shown but not correctly (at least in case of uktvaa). At this point in
> time I'm not quite sure if I need some sort of customization for both
> gvim and emacs I perhaps do not know of.
It's not clear what you mean by "out of the box TeXworks."  TeXworks
supports both Xe(La)TeX and older pre-Unicode (La)TeX.  If you typeset
with Xe(La)TeX, then you are using a Unicode-based, OT font.  Or perhaps
you are using an older LaTeX package for Devanagari and typesetting with
pdfLaTeX.  I don't know about gvim and emacs, since I'm not a Linux
user, but if they don't support Unicode text entry and Xe(La)TeX then
you couldn't use the same OT font you used if you typeset with Xe(La)TeX
in TeXworks.

>> course, without Devanagari support, you will see little boxes rather
>> than the appropriate characters.  But if one is typing only a word of
>> Devanagari here and there, perhaps that's OK.
>>

> I do not like that. Then I rather would like to use
> transliteration.
There are a number of OT fonts around that support both Latin and
Devanagari; hopefully you can find one you like for editing as well as
final typesetting.  (Sorry, I don't use Devanagari myself, so I can't
point to specific ones.)

David