[XeTeX] virtual keyboard question

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at arcor.de
Sun Sep 19 13:39:00 CEST 2010

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 07:08:09 -0400
David Perry <hospes.primus at verizon.net>
wrote:

> On 9/19/2010 3:57 AM, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> > I found this one:
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651.aspx
> > Is it the URL you meant?
> Yes, that's the one.  Note that when using these graphics you can
> click on SHIFT or ALT GR and they will stay "depressed" and show what
> symbols are available in those states.

Aaah, thanks. Good to know.

> > I would assume that in order to get for instance devanagari
> > correctly into an editor, say texworks in Windows 7 the font which
> > texworks uses must have devanagari support.
> An interesting point.  The font that you use when generating your PDF
> (i.e., for the final product) must support Devanagari.  The one that
> you use in TeXworks's editor window does not necessarily have to.  Of

I tried it in TeXworks under Linux. For instance uktvaa in Devanagari
which has a ligature in it connecting k, t and v shows up correctly in
(out of the box) TeXworks. Both in gvim and emacs Devanagari will be
shown but not correctly (at least in case of uktvaa). At this point in
time I'm not quite sure if I need some sort of customization for both
gvim and emacs I perhaps do not know of.

> course, without Devanagari support, you will see little boxes rather
> than the appropriate characters.  But if one is typing only a word of
> Devanagari here and there, perhaps that's OK.

I do not like that. Then I rather would like to use
transliteration.

--
Manfred