[XeTeX] Let me get it straight...

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 10:49:27 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-19 00:27:40 +0930, Herbert Schulz
<herbs at wideopenwest.com> said:

> Right now I'm loading xltxtra alone (since it loads xunicode and
> fontspec). In some of my older documents I am loading all three. With
> an updated fontspec (as of version ?) under xelatex which of the three
> packages do I need to be loading. Just trying to streamline my xelatex
> templates.

Right, sorry for all the confusion around this. I think I spoke too
soon about what people should do before I actually updated the code!

You should now only really need to load fontspec only:
 - xunicode is loaded internally by fontspec.
 - all the *necessary* parts of xltxtra are now inside fontspec

(You'll need very recent versions of all the bits'n'pieces for this to
be correct.)

Edge cases (all the "unnecessary" parts of xltxtra):

 - if you want OpenType subscripts/superscripts, load the realscripts
package separately or load xltxtra again
- if you want the XeTeX/XeLaTeX logos, load metalogo or load xltxtra again
 - if you want any of the following, load xltxtra again:
      \showhyphens that works
      \vfrac
      \namedglyph

So if you don't want to have to think about these extra things, there's
no problem with loading xltxtra always and by default. But I'd
recommend new users just load fontspec -- and this is the only option
on LuaLaTeX, as xltxtra doesn't exist for that engine.

Will