[XeTeX] Kashida environment

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sat Sep 18 15:44:10 CEST 2010

Fr. Michael Gilmary wrote:

> Well, I think I've got an environment for kashida. Please test it out
> and change whatever is necessary. It seems to work here with the
> attached example. Please note that I am no programmer and know very
> little of the TeX or XeTeX internals. I got lucky with modifying just
> a couple things from Jonathan's code.

It seems to me that, if others think this is useful, then maybe it
should be included as an environment option in polyglossia (it seems
pointless in shorter runs of text, no?) rather than a separate package
--- since I can't imagine how to use it independently of polyglossia and
friends (fontspec, bidi, etc).

Certainly, if desired, other glyphs could be mapped for Urdu, etc, as
the present maps only include Arabic, Farsi and Syriac. However, I'm
completely ignorant of what those glyphs would be since I know nothing
of those languages.

Possible use in polyglossia:

In the preamble:

\setotherlanguages{syriac, farsi, arabic} % or whatever else

%% and define some appropriate font(s)

\begin{syriac_or_Arabic_or_farsi}[kashida]
insert text here
\end{syriac_or_Arabic_or_farsi}

Any thoughts, François?

--