[XeTeX] Separate fonts for Latin and Greek with fontspec?

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Fri Sep 17 07:37:15 CEST 2010

David, Gareth,

>> Sorry if I missed this in the manual, but is it possible to use fontspec
>> to map most unicode characters to one font, and some to another? In
>> particular, my intended use is that I prefer the Latin characters in
>> Adobe Garamond Pro to those in Myriad Pro, but the latter has Greek
>> support whilst the former does not, and they're similar enough that with
>> the odd Greek character (which is all I use!) they are pretty
>> stylistically compatible. Is it possible to set things up so that Greek
>> appears in Minion and Latin (and everything else) appears in Garamond?
>>
>> (I only ask the question since something like this is possible in
>> unicode-math, IIRC.)
>>
> The fontwrap package can do this in PerlTeX. I still tend to use the
> command sequences from Polyglossia when switching between scripts/languages.

A better route is to use xetex's interchartoks. I always had the idea to
rewrite fontwrap as a fontspec-using xetex package instead, and the
"ucharclasses" package is still sitting in my homedir waiting to
befinished >_>

I did an explanation on how to do this in an older thread titled "How to
use intercharclasses (was "Issue with CJK in pdf    build")",
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/xetex/2009-November/014853.html

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresourcs.com