[XeTeX] patach furtivum in biblical hebrew

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Thu Sep 16 23:50:50 CEST 2010

Furtive patah will work in Cardo.  Just type the patah after the consonant
and it will be moved to the right automatically.  Nothing else is required.
I set things up this way to make it as easy as possible for users, without
assuming that any OT features such as contextual alternates would be
supported.  (The Hebrew features in Cardo were created several years ago,
when OT support was less widespread than it is today.)  Typing the patah
after the consonant may seen counterintuitive, given the pronunciation, but
it provides consistency (all vowels entered after the consonant) which made
life eaiser when I devised the Hebrew lookups.

You are correct that a mechanisms to handle something like furtive patah
must be defined in the font.  I have not studied the SIL font so I can't say
how they do it.  The documentation for a Hebrew font should tell you this
(as Cardo's does).

Contextual alternates are supposed to be on by default in an OS or font
renderer, but they are not always.  Even if they are on, they are not the
only way of handling furtive patah.  Cardo does not contain any contextual
alternates for Hebrew, which is why you got the error message you did.

David
(developer of Cardo)

This does not