[XeTeX] Inactive citation links with hyperref and natbib

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Sep 16 11:35:46 CEST 2010

Pierre Morel wrote:

> The problems arise when I cite a paper in the French text, such as "french french french \citep{Author:year} french french french". I could surround each \citep command by \selectlanguage{english}...\selectlanguage{french}, but it's certainly not elegant !

Well, without looking into the definition of \citep I cannot
guarantee that this will work, but /if/ \citep is a simple
one-parameter macro, then the following might suffice :

	\let \canonicalcitep = \citep
	\def \citep {\passivecolon \canonicalcitep \activecolon}
	\def \passivecolon {\catcode `\: = \catcode `\* \relax}
	\def \activecolon {\catcode `\: = \active}

Philip Taylor

(Substitute another passive char for * if the latter turns
  out not to be passive in this context).