[XeTeX] Polyglossia and BibLaTeX

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Thu Sep 16 09:53:06 CEST 2010

> Dear friends,
>
> I regularly use BibLaTeX to manage citations and bibliographies.
> Unfortunately, there's nothing in the either the BibLaTeX or Polyglossia
> manuals about how to manage multilingual bibliographies. They work fine
> together, but I'd like to be able to do some fine tuning.
>
> It looks like Polyglossia does its trick of pretending to Babel for
> BibLaTeX, but does it just set the default language? One problem I have
> is with hyphenation of non-English titles in an otherwise
> English-language bibliography. Can I use the babel=hyphen environment,
> or do I need to wrap titles in my .bib file in \textgerman{} for instance?
>
> When I try backend=biber my .aux file fails to point to my .bib file.
> The .bib file is UTF8 encoded.

I cannot really help you here, but you might be pleased to hear that François Charette, the author of polyglossia, is also one of the guys behind biber (http://biblatex-biber.sourceforge.net/ ). Biber is meant to replace bibtex (the program) for biblatex. So you can be assured that the biblatex people are quite aware of the problems of multingual bibliographies (multiscript support is also on the roadmap: https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/biblatex/index.php?title=Roadmap ).

Smon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„When you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.“ Abraham Maslow