[XeTeX] Polyglossia and BibLaTeX

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Thu Sep 16 09:45:38 CEST 2010

Hi Gareth,

Am 15.09.2010 um 15:16 schrieb Gareth Hughes:

> It looks like Polyglossia does its trick of pretending to Babel for
> BibLaTeX, but does it just set the default language? One problem I have
> is with hyphenation of non-English titles in an otherwise
> English-language bibliography. Can I use the babel=hyphen environment,
> or do I need to wrap titles in my .bib file in \textgerman{} for instance?

Well, it looks like that by now there are not so many XeTeX users who know about the advantages of biblatex in comparison to the normal bibtex facilities in LaTeX or the numerous other bibtex related packages.

According to the excellent biblatex manual, there are two bibtex entry fields who could help you with hyphenation problems: 'language' and 'hyphenation'. Have you tried these? If polyglossia manages to pretend being babel for biblatex, this should work.

But it would be best to contact Philipp Lehmann, the maintainer of biblatex, and urge him to implement polyglossia as a second language interface.

Joachim

Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz     E-Mail: jtr at uni-bonn.de
Institut für Germanistik, Tel.: 0228-737565
Vergleichende Literatur-  Fax: 0228-737479
und Kulturwissenschaft    www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de
der Universität Bonn      53012 Bonn