[XeTeX] Diacritical accent marks using \.{}, \d{} in Tamil/Malayalam

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Tue Sep 14 15:15:09 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 04:45:45PM -0230, P. P. Narayanaswami wrote:
>> Thanks.  I get the dots above/below, if I load xunicode package "before"
>> fontspec. If I use it after the fontspec, nothing happens.  Also, the
>> dots are not centered properly above or below the characters.
>> The dot below using \d{} is somewhat satisfactory, but the dot above
>> using \.{} is way off the character too much shifted to left/right.
>>
>> Here is the test file:
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{xunicode}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \def\tam{\fontspec[Script=Tamil]{Latha}}
>> \begin{document}
>> \tam
>> \d{{ரி}}  \.{{ரி}}
>> \end{document}

Well, I don't know Tamil ... but I think your input looks like html for
the glyphs you want. So, when I tried that idea and produced them in an
html doc, then I got two Tamil glyphs. Using the font Code2000, I was
able to use the minimal example below to produce what you see in the
screen shot.

Is this something like what you want?

*******************

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[variant=us]{english}
\setmainfont{Code2000}

\newfontfamily\tamil[Script=Tamil]{Code2000}

\begin{document}
\tamil
\d{ர ி}

ர