[XeTeX] patach furtivum in biblical hebrew

Efraim Feinstein feinst at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 13 19:56:19 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 09/13/2010 01:40 PM, Carsten Ziegert wrote:
> can anybody tell me how to implement a patach furtivum? I copied a short
> passage from a Bible software supporting unicode but the "furtivum
> feature" got lost. The last patach is supposed to be shifted between
> chet and yod. I found no information about typing it in the
> documentation of my keyboard driver (Ezra SIL Unicode for SCIM/KMFL,
> Ubuntu Karmic).

There is no separate Unicode furtive patah character.  It will shift if
the font supports it, if not, it doesn't.  The same test file using Ezra
SIL instead of SBL Hebrew does show the patah shifted.

If you put the same words into Openoffice.org, the patah displays
shifted in both SBL Hebrew and Ezra SIL, but not Ezra SIL SR (a font
that doesn't support the feature).  Openoffice.org displays the correct
behavior in all cases.  XeTeX is interpreting something about SBL Hebrew
differently.

-Efraim