[XeTeX] warning from polyglossia

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon Sep 13 16:46:09 CEST 2010

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Fr. Michael Gilmary wrote:
>
>> Now polyglossia tells me:
>> Package polyglossia Warning: Unknown English variant `us' on input
>> line 25.
>>
>> But if I load:
>> \setdefaultlanguage[variant=uk]{english}
>> or:
>> or no option at all, no warning is given.
>
> It's the result of the EU Directive on National Languages, 2011/13/EC,
> which states unequivocally that any software that is distributed or
> distributable within the European Union must support only the language
> variant that forms the primary language within the country or nation
> state from which the language is deemed to originate.  Thus Quebcois
> French, American English and Puerto Rican Spanish (for example) must
> not be supported in any such software.
>
> Sorry, but that's the EU for you !
>
> ** Phil.

I don't know if this will cause big problems or not (since I'm not
familiar with what sorts of hyphenation pattern changes there are
between us, Philip). So, maybe it can remain as is.

But if there *will* be problems, we can use some "American ingenuity" to
work around this one!

How about a NEW LANGUAGE? We can call it "USAmerican", the language that
"originates" in the USA. So, François can add a "new" .ldf --- based on
the former option [variant=us] --- called "usamerican" to load as:

\setdefaultlanguage{usamerican}

or something like that.

What do you think, François? (Certainly, if you can't fix it, you'll
have to update the documentation, I think).

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery