[XeTeX] Fontspec: Historic not Historical Ligatures?

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Sep 12 15:02:39 CEST 2010

I just updated my fontspec (along with other packages in MiKTeX) and got
errors when using the OT Historical Ligatures feature.  After a moment
of panic, since I am working like crazy to finish a book, and after
checking my Linux Libertine font again, I read the new fontspec docs.

Why has Historical become Historic?  According to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/featurelist.htm, "historical"
is the official name.

I certainly don't object to changes that solve problems or make it
easier to improve packages down the line, even if such changes cause
difficulties in transition.  But this one seems both strange and
unnecessary, and apt to break existing documents.  Comments?

David