[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation initiative - a website

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 12:59:07 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-12 19:29:31 +0930, Michiel Kamermans
<pomax at nihongoresources.com> said:

> I've put up a wiki with a highly tentative structure on
> http://wiki.xelatex.org/doku.php - sadly xetex.org is taken by some
> domain hiking service so there's no obvious xetex.org counterpart to be
> had...

Looks great so far. If I could tentatively suggest a guideline for
adding more "general LaTeX"-related material:

- We already have very good documentation for lots of packages
- So let's not to avoid replicating as much detail as possible from
those packages with good manuals
- A description of "why" you would like to use such-and-such a package,
and let the package speak for itself in regards to the "how"
- In other words, stick to illustrative examples
- Where possible, recommend packages that have "best of breed"
solutions and try not to overlap functionality: choice can be evil (but
isn't always, obviously)

I don't have time to write content, at the moment, but I'll keep and
eye on what's there and edit where I can see improvements to be made.
E.g., there's no need to recommend xltxtra nowadays; since TL2010
fontspec does everything itself, and xltxtra just contains mostly
unused "extras".

Will