[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Diederick C. Niehorster dcnieho at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 02:59:28 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:45, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 07:54:08PM +0100, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>
> AAT is a dieing technology anyway and is becoming more and more
> irrelevant, still I see no problem with platform specific documentation
> as long as it is clearly stated.

Hmm, in the view that this is a large undertaking, I would vote for
focusing on that which works uniformaly accross platforms first. such
additional, platform specific information can be added later, possbily
marked by an apple, windows symbol or tux in the margin to mark which
platform its intended for.

While realizing that indeed many come to xe(la)tex with little to no
background in (la)tex, being myself one of those, I do think it might
be best to start work on the more xe(la)tex specific parts. Given the
outline proposed, it might be best to start by filling in those parts
on which we see most questions on the list here and only after fan out
to discussing packages that work equally well on latex. In that way,
the documentation would already be useful in beta stage and could
already be referred to from here for a more in-depth answer to common
questions.

In view of that, whichever repository the doc would be saved in, I
guess it would be good if that system comes with some kind of compiled
package download function (like sourceforge has) as well, so those
with the basic questions can get the pdf directly.

Best,
Dee