[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Sep 10 20:54:08 CEST 2010

I really hope that this initiative succeeds, for despite over
25 years involvement with TeX I feel more than a little
out of my depth when it comes to the innovative features of
XeTeX, but I would also like to enter a plea : that whatever
documentation emerges as a result of these discussion be
platform-agnostic, with (e.g.,) any Apple dependencies
factored out into one or more appendices.  Only too often
one reads on this list about XeTeX's support for (e.g.) AAT,
but unless/until that technology is uniformly available
across all three major platforms (Windows, {Li|U}n{u|i}x}
and the Apple Macintosh), documentation that is Apple-specific
will be at best of little use, and as worst totally misleading,
to those of us that choose not to use the Apple platform.

Philip Taylor