[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 10 10:08:16 CEST 2010

Hello

I haven't been following the proposals in detail but it seems to me that the
suggestions are overwhelmingly weighted in favour of XeLaTeX users - which
is fine as long as someone is working on a plain XeTeX manual of comparable
scope.  I don't use (Xe)LaTeX myself, and I think the applies to a number of
regular contributors to this list - I still reach fo The TeXbook when I want
to do something non-routine, and would hope that all the extra commands
available in (plain) XeTeX might be documented in a comparably rigorous
manner so that one isn't left to stumble across potentially useful features
almost by accident.

Though of course I accept that a completed manual which satisfies the needs
of half the XeTeX community is better than an eternally postponed promise of
a manual that would satisfy the needs of all of that community...

John