[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 04:17:27 CEST 2010

Hi all,

It is good to see that at least we have some discussion. My reactions:

- Yes, there is an awful lot of documentation available. But there is the problem of inversion. A package may have a good manual, but if I have a problem and I don't know which package to use, my life is difficult. This is exactly the problem we solve with newsgroups, mail lists etc. However, the casual beginner may feel intimidated, and asking a simple question sometimes still triggers an "RTFM" reply (happened two days ago on the PGF users list for a question which turned out to be non-trivial). A book like the latex companion is excellent in this aspect, it gives many examples and a good overview of packages (even though the edition from several years ago is somewhat outdated nowadays)

- In my experience, once users are used to a system, they are reluctant to change. It took me a very long time to move from latex -> dvi -> ps to pdflatex, and then some time to move to xelatex. For the beginning user, all this info about tex, etex, pdftex, pdflatex, omega, xetex mumbo-jumbo is borderline impossible to comprehend. Once a user knows how to make a latex document, they will not likely move to xelatex. Thus, I advocate indeed a manual like the latex companion but for xelatex, memoir, PGF, TikZ and beamer

- There are several excellent sources of latex info on the net. In my experience, if I type "latex" and the name of a control sequence into Google, I will get relevant information easily. But again, this requires that the inversion problem has been solved, i.e. one knows which command to look for.

- The problem of duplication is inevitable with free software, because anybody can write a manual. However most authors will not follow it through to the end because people loose interest. The Latex Companion is a laudable exception where the authors go all the way and keep on going. So it seems that it is time to make a new, rigorous manual focusing on the codes mentioned above

- In my opinion, a paper manual is more user-friendly than just a PDF document. While one may print a PDF on a4 or letter paper, a nice bound version has my preference

- For the issue of money, free manuals are nice but it is my opinion that if something is good, users are willing to pay for it. If anything, the cost of printing, binding and distribution are not always negligible, even if the typesetting can be done for free with latex. Thus we could try to make a document which can be downloaded for free as a PDF, and also sold as a bound copy for a fee.

- As far as Michiel Goossen's comments go: it would be not too difficult to make a document template which mimics the Latex Companion style with memoir. I'm willing to give it a try sometime in the future, I am too busy right now (and see here the perennial problem of writing documentation - unless you actually get paid to do it, it has to be done as a hobby and then all kinds of other things start to vie for attention also).

Regards,
Wilfred van Rooijen