[XeTeX] using different fonts for one language (Syriac)

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 18:12:19 CEST 2010

Dear Adam,

I've been thinking of writing a XeLaTeX package for Syriac that would
deal with this and other issues.

I would choose one Syriac font as my main Syriac font (Serto in your
case), and others as exceptions. Then use polyglossia to set up the main
Syriac font, thus:

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainlanguage{syriac}% or use \setotherlanguage if your main language
is something other.
\newfontfamily\syriacfont[Script=Syriac]{Serto Jerusalem}

Then you need some code to set up Estrangelo:

\newfontfamily\estrangelofont[Script=Syriac]{Estrangelo Edessa}
\newcommand{\textestrangelo}[1]{\textsyriac{\estrangelofont #1}}
\newenvironment{estrangelo}{\begin{syriac}\estrangelofont}{\end{syriac}}

Now, you have a command, \textestrangelo{ܫܠܡܐ}, that will render
Estrangelo text, and an environment,
\begin{estrangelo}...\end{estrangelo}, for longer pieces of text.

Have fun,

Gareth.