[XeTeX] Beginner questions

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sat Oct 30 12:38:04 CEST 2010

Le 30 oct. 2010 à 11:55, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 29.10.2010 um 23:51 schrieb André Bellaïche:
>
>> I have looked into changebar.sty, and it does not seems to be easy to replace the Postscript commands by a simple command drawing an hrule or a vrule.
>

> André,
>
> if you need to compare two XeLaTeX files, then you don't need the fancy XeLaTeX or, better, system fonts to show these differences or changes. If you make that XeLaTeX source bi-lang, add to it a preamble for pdfLaTeX in UTF-8 encoding, then you should be able to use changebar.sty with, for example, Times or Helvetica or Latin Modern.
>

> Vafa Khalighi's iftex package might be helpful to activate either this or that preamble. An UTF-8 enabled LaTeX preamble could be:
>
> 	[...]

Pete,

In fact, I came to XeTeX I had never used before because I had to use the Frutiger Linotype fonts.  This is the easiest way, put aside the problem that `changebar' is only compatible with dvi-to-ps drivers, and knows nothing of pdf. And I have to use revision bars.

I have also find a `frutiger' package for LaTeX:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/truetypemetrics/frutiger/

They say: ``This package contains everything you need (apart from
the fonts themselves) to use Linotype Frutiger in your
Latex documents.''

Well, they don't say much about how to make the Truetype fonts digestible for TeX, where to put the files, whether one has to run updmap or not, etc.

And, moreover, there is this warning:  note that [the Truetype Linotype Frutiger fonts] should be used with Pdftex, not with normalTex; most dvi-drivers don't support Truetype fonts.

So, it is impossible to use changebar as it is with Frutiger in this way, unless the dvi-driver of TeXLive is different from the others. (My version of Frutiger LT is Opentype, but I suppose the conversion into Truetype is easy.)

André