[XeTeX] PDFs and advanced font features

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 17:38:07 CEST 2010

I'm no expert, but I think any attempt to copy and paste special characters from PDF is
doomed. The searchable image you have seen is an optional output from
Acrobat Professional's OCR processing. It has no chance on earth of
OCR-ing ligatures and swashes, and wouldn't know a small cap if one
jumped up and bit it.

I was playing with Garamond Premier Pro and Mac's Character Viewer
trying to find the code points for an ft ligature that XeTeX found and
used to my delight. As you suspect, it was up in the private code page
area of Unicode, a free-for-all jungle where in another font, an
entirely different glyph will share the same codepoint.

Since you are resigned to recruiting agencies and others mangling your
beautiful work, and since your aim is to get your CV in front of a
competing horde of generous employers, you better admit your role is
not to teach recruiters typography. Send them your beautiful PDF by
all means, but also send a plain text document without ligatures or
other typographic niceties so that it is as easy as possible for them
to prepare the documents they send to prospects. If you make it hard
for them, your CV will go in the rubbish bin.

Sadly, the best way to hawk a CV to recruiters is to do it in
Word. Default styles, default fonts and no hand formatting beyond an
emphasis character style. They are going to copy then "paste special" to
give it their corporate image whether you like it or not.

It's ugly out there.