[XeTeX] ERROR Invalid glyph index (gid 2448)

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 27 16:40:55 CEST 2010

On Wed, October 27, 2010 16:16, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 04:14:27PM +0200, Pander wrote:
>>
>> Ubuntu Maverick installation provided me /again/ with ttf-freefonts and
>> that was the cause of the ambiguous situation. After doing a sudo rm -f
>> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/* all is sane again.
>>
>> It inspired me to report these:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ttf-freefont/+bug/667242
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ttf-freefont/+bug/667240
>>
>> Feel free to login to in on launchpad and select "Yes, it affects me" ;)
>
> My experience with Ubuntu is that they will never provide a fix with
> such issues (technically speaking, this is not a bug, if some package
> require FreeFont then Ubuntu have to install it). But if there is ever
> a chance for this issue to be solved, will be by reporting it against
> Debian which have the real package maintainers.

Well, if Ubuntu would be able to offer a package of TeX Live, this should
not be an issue. The current situation gives rise to errors and dropping
these deps would soften the situation. Still, ttf-freefont can be a base
package which gets installed always.

>> While you are at it, little bit (un)related, also vote for:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fontforge/+bug/627537
>
> I fail to see what is the issue here, FontForge never provided DEB
> packages nor that Debian/Ubuntu ever ship upstream built packages, so
> that announcement changes nothing. Also it is not generally wise idea to
> build a package from random CVS snapshot, you should instead ask
> upstream to make a new release if you think the last release is too old.

I don't like it either but unfortunately, this is what is being
communicated from upstream/maintainer. Fontforge do gets developed, but
since no official release (except latest greatest CVS) are coming out,
Ubuntu is stuck at an old version.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry if this threat has become too much Ubuntu
oriented.

Regards,

Pander