[XeTeX] (Xe)LaTeX output in a non-(Xe)LaTeX scholarly community

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 24 09:48:37 CEST 2010

Ah, we differ.  I know John Bowley (who is still alive) had that experience with a long stretch of Syriac - possibly in the Journal of Theological Studies but I'm not sure, and I couldn't name the author in question.

Ross, the Aristotelian scholar, was shocked to discover that the compositors didn't know Greek when asked to clarify something in his appalling handwritten copy.  He had been submitting handwritten Greek editions of Aristotle for years with precious little to correct on the galleys (but then proofs were overread by one of the 'learned readers' before authors ever got to see the compositor's work).

John