[XeTeX] (Xe)LaTeX output in a non-(Xe)LaTeX scholarly community

McCollum, Adam acmccollum101 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 16:15:43 CEST 2010

Dear list members,

I realize that for publications in math and the sciences using TeX, etc. has been common, and perhaps even strongly encouraged or required, for many years. It is, alas, not yet at least, so in the humanities generally. Thanks to XeLaTeX's ability to work well with non-Latin scripts, it is perhaps becoming better known in the fields in which I work (Semitic and other eastern languages), but it is still somewhat of a surprise, I think, to find colleagues who hear "LaTeX" and do not respond with, "What?"! I am writing to ask for some thoughts on the predicament of using and enjoying XeLaTeX in my work, but not really being able to employ it for anything that will be published, since essentially every publisher wants only a .doc or .rtf file.

Thanks in advance,

Adam McCollum, Ph.D.
Lead Cataloger, Eastern Christian Manuscripts
Hill Museum & Manuscript Library
Saint John's University
P.O. Box 7300
Collegeville, MN 56321