[XeTeX] [OT] character encoding ideas [was: Re: Strange hyphenation with polyglossia in French]

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Thu Oct 21 18:45:22 CEST 2010

  Le 21/10/2010 18:18, Arthur Reutenauer a écrit :
>> I've watched "House" with pleasure for a number of years.  It's taken me
>> until Series 5, which I'm just catching up on, to realize that House's boss
>> is "Dr Cuddy" not "Dr Cutty".  The actors say /cuddy/ which I assumed was
>> American for British /cutty/.
>    Indeed, I had the exact same impression :-)

Common neutralization in American English: /d/ and /t/ are pronounced
the same in some places, namely as /?/.
You can see all those sounds nicely pronounced here:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/ipa/symbols.php
And I mean /see/, not simply /hear/.
Fortunately, spelling (in alphabetical writings, I mean) is
phonological, not phonetic, otherwise Unicode would implode.
Yes, that's totally off-topic. Sorry Mojca. :)

Paul