[XeTeX] Strange hyphenation with polyglossia in French

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 20 13:04:30 CEST 2010

Am 20.10.2010 10:44, schrieb Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd):
> [1] IMVVVHO, a successor to Unicode should have one plane per
> written language (and perhaps even per dialect thereof), so
> that a document written using this encoding will automatically
> carry the appropriate language semantics without requiring
> explicit tagging. A font implementing such a system need
> be very little larger than existing Unicode fonts, since
> glyphs could be recycled across languages where appropriate,
> but the underlying encoding should keep the languages
> entirely separate.

That's difficult, because languages and scripture are evolving. Is there
a difference between Montenegrin and Serbian? Will there be a difference
for German German and Swiss German (the standardardizations of both
languages are nearly identical, but there is an important typographical
difference: ß)

The cedilla/comma below shows the real problem: There is no fixed way of
writing a letter/sign/glyph (else there wouldn't be different fonts) but
the unicode model glyph=f(meaning)=F(codepoint) doesn't work that way
all the times. The relation glyph <-> meaning is more difficult and
depends on the people.

So setting up different planes for different languages might be helpful,
but its positive impact won't be so great, I think. But who knows all
the problems arising from that?

bye

Toscho