[XeTeX] Localized XeLaTeX / greek XeLaTeX

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Oct 15 15:45:27 CEST 2010

Alexandros Gotsis wrote:

<a great deal of interesting material>

A suggestion : suppose that, for some future version of XeTeX,
the first line of the file was treated specially if it started
(say) %! (or some analogous but currently unused sequence of
characters that can be found in most keyboards without
requiring language switching).

And suppose that following that %! (or whatever) was
expected to occur the name of the language in which
the remainder of the document was written, expressed
(of course) in Unicode (e.g., %! ελληνική).

This would then (I think) solve 50% of your problem,
in that your daughter could then write the entire
contents of the file in Greek, including the Greek
word for "documentclass" (which I regret I do not know).

This would not of itself cause XeLaTeX to recognise
(say) \κατηγορίαεγγράφου as meaning \documentclass,
but as I have pointed out in a previous message,
the full solution to that side of things is
distinctly murky ...

Would this, in some way, and if XeLaTeX could make
use of this information, be a step forwards ?

Philip Taylor