[XeTeX] wrong kerning and slow processing with xelatex intexlive 2010

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 13 15:23:47 CEST 2010

Just as a postscript to this thread, I've several times asked for (and still
hope to see)  a custom kerning facility in XeTeX (this is already available
in LuaTeX).  The idea would be that when you call up a font you can say
':kerning=mykern.krn' just as you can say ':mapping=tex-text'.  The file
'mykern.krn' would be something that the user writes to a specified syntax,
and it would supplement (including overriding) the kerning information
supplied by the font itself.  Any unsatisfactory pairings could then be
sorted out by the user without the need to edit the font (which might be
illegal).

Whenever I do mention this, a few people usually react to say that it would
be a good idea - but perhaps too few to bring the task to the front of the
hard-pressed programmers' queue.

John