[XeTeX] wrong kerning and slow processing with xelatex in texlive 2010

Vadim Radionov vadim.radionov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 14:41:42 CEST 2010

> XeTeX does not work correctly, it stumbles over an error. What makes you
> assume that the output could then be correct?

Sorry, I missed it.  Where was the error -- except for wrong kerning
in the output?

> BTW, texlive/2010/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf is the configuration file read by
> *TeX utilities. Or do you have some proof that texlive/NNNN/texmf.cnf is
> ever touched by them?

It is stated in the second paragraph of
texlive/2010/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf that any changes should be done in
texlive/2010/texmf.cnf.  The output of xetex with -kpathsea-debug=3
show in my case

kdebug:hash_lookup(TEXMFHOME) => ~/texmf-texlive-2010 ~/texmf

where the first is from texlive/2010/texmf.cnf and the second from
texlive/2010/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

Vadim