[XeTeX] Hoefler Text Ornaments

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 01:13:50 CEST 2010

On 12 Oct 2010, at 22:40, Ross Moore wrote:
> Garcin did not type the hand.
> Fr Michael did, and Garcin just copied it.

☞...and Fr Michael's method of accessing the glyphs from Character Palette is better than my Font Book method. I had forgotten how to get the glyph catalog on screen. (hint: the View Selector is hidden/unhidden by the ¨jelly bean¨ at the very top right of the Character Palette window.)☜

After a bit more playing about, I found another method useful if you know the Unicode code point. In preparation, add Unicode Hex Input to your checked input sources in System Preferences » Language and Text.
Then, when you need an esoteric Unicode glyph, hit ⌘^t until the flag for the People's Republic of Unicode appears on the menu bar, hold down the ⌥ key while you key in the hex value. Much harder to describe than do.

Conversely, Emacs' C-X 8 <RET> <unicode value> <RET> is much harder to do than describe.

Elliott Roper