[XeTeX] wrong kerning and slow processing with xelatex in texlive 2010

Vadim Radionov vadim.radionov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:09:51 CEST 2010

Hi, Vladimir,

> From you results I could deduce that something wrong goes with xetex
> from TL2010. You could enable kpathsea debugging and record used files
> (-recorder, -kpathsea-debug=1 or 2 or 3, but beware it will generate a
> lot of outout) to compare them.

I did this and found nothing suspicious (logs attached), except for
TEXMFHOME which points to 2 directories (I used to think that setting
variable in texlive/NNNN/texmf.cnf overrides
texlive/NNNN/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, but their values both are used).
Just to be sure, I renamed texmf and run mktexlsr.

> Sorry, I should said that in other words. You should be sure that you have
> only one file per font on your system. For example, the font
> CharterITC-Regular is provided by file CharterITC-Regular.otf and you have
> only ONE that file (in $HOME/.fonts or something else where fontconfig,
> fc, could find it, that's how xetex searches for fonts, it uses
> fontconfig). So if you have files, like ChaterITC-regular.ttf or
> charter-regular.otf or etc which provides the same font name (if you
> suspect that some font file could provide the same font name you could
> check that using fontforge) they should be removed (or moved to other
> place). If you have only ONE file that provides that font name it is ok.

There are definitely several files with versions of this font
somewhere in my home directory, but only one of them in ~/.fonts and
fc-cache points to it. And the log of xdvipdfmx -vv, too.  Is it
sufficient to be sure?

Vadim