[XeTeX] Wrong placement of indices of \sum in displayed formulae when using Neo Euler

Christian Pech cpech at freenet.de
Tue Oct 12 15:31:36 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am having a problem with mathematical typesetting under XeLaTeX:

In a formula like

\[ \sum_{i=1}^n \ldots\]

The indices i=1 and n appear too close to the Sigma. Moreover, they do not stand centrally above and below the Sigma.

The following is a minimal example illustrating the problem:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{CMU Serif}

\usepackage[math-style=upright,vargreek-shape=TeX]{unicode-math}
\setmathfont{Neo Euler}

\begin{document}
\[  \sum_{i=1}^n\]
\end{document}

I first thought that it may be a problem with the font Neo Euler, but Khaled pointed out that the problem does not occur under LuaLaTeX.

I hope that somebody from the forum can help me to overcome this problem.

I should add that I am working with MacTeX 2010 with the newest updates under OSX Version 10.6.4.

Thanks,

Chrstian