[XeTeX] Greek XeLaTeX

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 09:16:18 CEST 2010

> I am trying to "greekify" XeLaTex in order to make it  easier for greek writers
>to use.
>
>I have translated almost all the commands  (e.g., instead of \begin{document}
>I can use \αρχή{κειμένου}, etc.) that I could  think of and made new article,

Please do not do this! This way you are going to force many people to create
imcompatible
documents! I do not think that this is the way to go. If you are not happy with
LaTeX, then create
a completely new format. For example, Hagen was not happy with LaTeX and so he
created ConTeXt.

> The idea behind the changes is that a  writer of greek text (or arab, chinese
>etc.) should not be
>
>obliged to change  his/her computer keyboard to latin for the commands and back
>again for the text.
>
>Also the names of the commands would be more transparent for non-english
>speakers.

Sure but then TeXLive should include zillions of XeLaTeX formats and
localization files which will
make the whole thing a nightmare! Not to mention that it would be almost
impossible to process
a "Greek" XeLaTeX file in a computer located in Italy!

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece