[XeTeX] wrong kerning and slow processing with xelatex in texlive 2010

Vadim Radionov vadim.radionov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 17:31:50 CEST 2010

Hi, Vladimir,

My question was not about kerning in this commercial font. It was
about 2 instances of xetex that gave 2 different result. And i asked
how i can figure out what's wrong with one of them (texlive 2010).

>> also gives good kerning with xetex
> I don't understand here. Kerning is always matter of taste.
> what's wrong?

You can check the second post in this thread.  In test1.pdf (produced
with old version) kerning is OK. In test.pdf (produced from the same
source with newer xetex) it is obvoiusly wrong in 2 places. (Sorry for
papersize again.)

> For me this is font problem not the engine. Also you could check that
> you have only one font-file (I mean either only TTF or OTF, if both this
> could be reason of descrepancy). About font desing and implementation I
> think Khaled could tell you more.

Yes, this is probably a font problem. Both xetexs find the same otf
font in ~/.fonts
But the result it different.

> Please don't post problems with commercial fonts because it could be
> almost impossible to tracker down the source of the problem.

Sorry for bothering you. I was asking not for solution to my problem
but for hints to solve it myself.

Vadim